Data VizArt Student Challenge: Canada 2021 – Official Rules
THE FOLLOWING CONTEST IS OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF CANADA ONLY WHO ARE ENROLLED AND STUDYING FULL-TIME IN A POST-SECONDARY SCHOOL IN CANADA. DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST IF YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OF CANADA OR IF YOU ARE OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CONTEST. THIS CONTEST IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF CANADA. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES. NO PURCHASE OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Contest Description: The Data VizArt Student Challenge: Canada 2021 (“Contest”) is a skill-based contest in which teams of participants submit a “Business Case” visualization using Tableau Public software, as more specifically set forth below (each a “Submission”). Top 10 participating teams will present their Submissions to a panel of judges. The Contest is subject to these terms and conditions (“Official Rules”).
2. Sponsors: salesforce.com Canada Corporation (“SFDC”); Deloitte, 8 Adelaide St W #200, Toronto, ON M5H 0A9 (“Deloitte”); and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, 199 Bay Street, Commerce Court, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5L 1A2 (“CIBC”) (collectively, “Sponsors”).
3. Eligibility: To be eligible to enter the Contest, at the time of entry and during the term of the Contest, each participating individual on a team must be (a) a legal Canadian resident of the age of majority in his or her jurisdiction of residence; and (b) a full-time student enrolled and studying in a Canadian post-secondary school (“Eligible Person”). Employees, contractors, directors, officers and representatives of SFDC, CIBC, Deloitte and each of their respective agents, parents, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies; any prize provider; and any entity involved in the development, production, implementation, administration or fulfillment of the Contest; and their immediate family members (defined as parents, children, siblings, spouse, or life partner) and persons living in the same household of any of the foregoing categories of individuals, are not eligible to participate. Sponsors reserve the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time. PLEASE NOTE: Continued eligibility is contingent upon compliance with all of the terms set forth in these Official Rules, including continued residence in Canada and the requirement that all team members attend the virtual Final Round (as defined below) of the Contest.
4. Contest Periods: The Contest will be conducted in two rounds: first the “Qualifying Round” and then the “Finals Round”. The top 10 teams from the ‘Qualifying Round’ will present a virtual presentation to a panel of judges for the ‘Final Round’. See details of the Qualifying Round and the Finals Round below. Teams can register for the Contest and submit their Submissions starting April 20, 2021 at 12:00:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) until the submission window closes on May 10, 2021 at 8:00:00 p.m. EST (“Submission Period”).
ALL TIMES BELOW ARE CANADIAN EASTERN TIME.
|Announcement of Business Case (Date and Website)||Deadline for Submission||Announcement of Advancing Teams or Winners (Date, Time and Method of Announcement)|
April 20, 2021
May 10, 2021
May 31, 2021
|Presentation of top 10 submissions from Qualifying Round||Announcement of Winners|
June 10, 2021
1:00 – 4:30 p.m.
June 11, 2021
5. How to Enter:
A. Form a Team
A “team” consists of a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of three (3) Eligible Persons attending the same postsecondary school located in Canada. Eligible Persons can only be members of one (1) team. For avoidance of confusion, Eligible Persons from different schools may not participate on the same team. One member of the team must be designated as the “Team Captain.”
B. Register at Contest Website
A team must register on the Contest website, dvastudentchallenge.ca (“Website”). The registration form on the Website will ask for the names of each Eligible Person on the team including the designation of the Team Captain. The registration will also ask for the name, address, telephone number, email, and other information about the team’s school. Registration must occur during the Submission Period set forth above. Registration on the Website will include upload of the Submission.
C. Download Tableau Software
The team must download a copy of Tableau Desktop Software from the Tableau Public website, which requires a registration and is required for participation in the Contest. Downloading the Tableau Desktop Software and registering on the Tableau Public website are free.
D. Requirements for Each Round
1) Qualifying Round
Follow the instructions on the Website to create a Submission. Each Submission will be comprised of a data visualization Business Case using the Tableau Desktop Software. Each Submission must use only the set of data provided on the Website. Once completed, teams will upload their Submissions to the Website. By uploading a Submission, each Eligible Person on the team confirms and represents that the Submission is their original work and that the Submission adheres to these Official Rules, including the Guidelines and Content Restrictions below. Sponsors, in their sole discretion, may disqualify a team if Sponsors believe that any Submission fails to adhere to these Official Rules.
2) Finals Round
The Top 10 teams ,notified by way of announcement as indicated above that they have advanced to the Finals Round, must prepare to present their Submissions to the judges virtually. Instructions and tips for the presentation are available on the Website. The teams’ Submission plus their presentation during the Finals Round together constitute their ‘Final Round Entry.’
3) Guidelines and Content Restrictions
Guidelines: Guidelines on format or file size of Submissions may be provided on the Website and must be strictly adhered to.
• Submissions must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
• Submissions must not contain content created by a third party, except as expressly set forth herein;
• Submissions must not disparage Sponsors or any other person or party;
• Submissions must not contain material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, tortious, defamatory, or slanderous;
• Submissions must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age; and
• Submissions must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in Canada and any province/territory where the Submission is created.
4) For the Submission
i. Limit: Each registered team may not submit more than one (1) Submission; Submissions are received via upload to the site set forth on the Website. Submissions received from any team in excess of the stated limit will be void. Submissions generated by script, macro, or other automated means are void and may cause disqualification. In the event of a dispute as to any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register on the Website will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each entrant may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
ii. Submissions not properly entered into the Contest will not be acknowledged. Proof of entry does not constitute proof of receipt by Sponsors. Submissions must be received by Sponsors no later than the dates and times indicated in these Official Rules. Only eligible Submissions actually received by Sponsors in accordance with the timing requirements set forth above will be eligible to win. Sponsors are not responsible for (i) inaccessible, lost, late, misdirected, mutilated, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, fraudulent, incomplete, or illegible Submissions, which are void, or (ii) for any computer related, online, telephonic, or technical malfunctions that may occur. Illegible, unintelligible, inaccessible, non-public, incomplete, garbled, or mutilated Submissions will be disqualified. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any Submissions not in compliance with these Official Rules.
iii. By making a Submission and participating in the Contest, every participant (including Eligible Persons) represent and warrant that: (i) he or she agrees to the terms and conditions of use of the www.tableausoftware.com website (available at http://www.tableausoftware.com/tos), and has the right to, and do hereby grant to SFDC and its affiliates an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use his or her Submission for marketing and promotional and any other use, with the right to reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, publicly perform, create derivative works from, and publicly display in whole or in part, in any and all media such Submission, without additional consent by or notice to entrant; (ii) participant is owner of the Submission, the Submission is participant’s original work, and participant has secured any and all rights, releases, or permissions necessary for the use and distribution of the Submission by Sponsors and SFDC’s affiliates; (iii) his or her Submission does not violate or infringe upon the copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights, publicity rights, or any other rights of any third party; (iv) he or she waives any and all moral rights in a Submission in favour of Sponsors and SFDC’s affiliates; (v) his or her Submission contains data that is from the data sets provided on the Website and does not contain data that should remain confidential or private; (vi) his or her Submission has not won any previous awards and has not been previously published.
6. How to Advance/or Win:
Winning depends on skill in meeting criteria set forth below.
1) Qualifying Round
A panel of judges composed of industry experts (“Panel”) will evaluate all Submissions based on the following criteria:
1. Innovation – intersection of data analysis and creative representation of that data.
2. Design – execution of creative representation: beautiful, easy to interpret, relevant, effective.
3. Analytically Correct – was data provided on the Website actually used. New sources were not introduced. Data was not transformed or manipulated to warrant the information inaccurate.
The Panel will evaluate each Submission based upon the above criteria and award a score of between 0-75 for each Submission, based on scores between 0-25 for each of the three above-listed criteria. The ten (10) Submissions that receive the highest overall score from the Panel will be selected to advance to the Finals Round and will be notified on the date and time set forth above via posting on the Website. Each member of a team advancing to the Finals Round must follow Sponsors’ instructions, including to:
- Submit a copy of their official government-issued identification for proof of identity, residency, and age;
- Agree, sign, and submit documents that (1) confirm their eligibility, (2) agree to participate in the Finals Round virtual presentation and accept the Grand Prize or Runner Up Prize (in the event of being declared the winning team or runner up team),(3) waive liability and release Sponsors and Released Parties (as defined below) related to acceptance of any prize and participation in the Contest;
- Sign a publicity release and agree to be filmed throughout his or her participation in the Finals Round; and
- Agree that each member of the finalist team has an ongoing responsibility to make sure that their actions do not disparage or adversely affect the name, reputation, or goodwill of the Sponsors or any other person or party affiliated with the Contest.
2) Finals Round
Final Pitch Presentation – A virtual presentation of final Submission to the Panel. Presentations are limited to time limits set forth by Sponsors. Presentations should be creative and strategic with the objective of convincing the Panel of the team’s insights. Final presentations must be conducted in English.
The scores from the qualifying round will carry forward to the Finals Round and the Panel will only evaluate the Final Pitch Presentation in this round to award a score between 0-25 for each presentation.
The Final Pitch Presentation will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
1. Storytelling/Presentation – does the presentation articulate the problem and clearly provide insight in drawing conclusions based on represented data. Does everyone come to the same conclusion and understanding?
Based on the scores from the Qualifying Round and the Finals Round, a total score out of 100 will be determined for each finalist team. The team with the highest score will be declared the winning team, and the team with the next highest score will be declared the runner-up team. In the event of a tie, the highest score in the “Storytelling/Presentation” category will break the tie.
One (1) Grand Prize: A cash or merchandise prize (at the discretion of the Sponsors) with a maximum retail value $3,000 CAD. One (1) prize is awarded to the winning team.
One (1) Runner Up Prize: A cash or merchandise prize (at the discretion of the Sponsors) with a maximum retail value $1,500 CAD. One (1) prize is awarded to the winning team.
Total maximum retail value of all prizes: $4,500 CAD. Limit: one (1) prize per team.
The Sponsors’ decisions are final with respect to all aspects of the Contest. The Grand Prize and Runner Up winners will be notified on the date and time set forth above via posting on the Website. Sponsors and their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, agents, officers and directors, advertising and Contest agencies, and their respective officers, directors, employees, and their respective agents (“Released Parties”) will not be liable for unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential winner or any Eligible Person. If a potential winner or any Eligible Person declines a prize, fails to claim a prize, cannot be contacted within the time period stated herein, fails to abide by the Official Rules, is determined to be ineligible, or if a prize notification email is returned as undeliverable, such prize will be forfeited, and Sponsors may select an alternate winner from all remaining eligible Submissions as described herein. Potential winners are subject to verification and no potential winner shall be deemed a winner unless and until verified by Sponsors.
No prize substitution, cash substitution, or assignment or transfer of any of the prizes is permitted, except by Sponsors for reason of unavailability. The prize consists of only those items specifically listed as part of the prize. All taxes, costs, and fees (not expressly specified as included) associated with any prize, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winners. If a prize is shipped, Sponsor is not responsible for any prize that is lost, stolen, mutilated, destroyed, misdirected, or undelivered for any reason. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize items.
8. Conduct: By participating in the Contest, participants agree to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules. Failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest. Participants further agree to comply with and be bound by decisions of Sponsors, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual they find to be: (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the operation of the Contest or Sponsors’ website(s); (b) violating these Official Rules; (c) violating the terms of service, conditions of use and/or general rules or guidelines of any Sponsors’ property or services; or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Except where prohibited by law, by accepting a prize, finalists consent to Sponsors’ use of their name, likeness, address (city and state only), statements, photograph, voice, Submission, and/or likeness for advertising and promotional purposes related to the Contest in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide and without further notice, compensation, consideration, review or consent and without regard to moral rights.
9. Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, participants agree, to the fullest extent of the law, to release and hold harmless the Released Parties from any and all liability for any claim, injury, loss, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Contest (including but not limited to the receipt, use, or misuse of any prize or any component thereof) or the promotion thereof. Sponsors assume no responsibility or liability for the following: (a) telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur; (b) any incorrect or inaccurate information, any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, or any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of purchases and/or invoices in connection with the Contest; (c) any injury or damage to participants related to or resulting from participating in this Contest, including any use or receipt of a prize awarded herein, other than injury or damage caused by Sponsors’ negligence or willful misconduct; or (d) any use or inability to use any awarded prize.
10. Right to Terminate or Modify: If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, because of tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, force majeure, or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsors which may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux in Quebec. Sponsors reserve the right to modify these Official Rules at any time for clarification purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Contest, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux in Quebec. Any attempt to deliberately damage the content or operation of this Contest is unlawful and subject to legal action by Sponsors or its agents.
12. Publicity: By participating in the Contest, you authorize the Sponsors to use your name and image, including any video or pictures, for the purposes of promotion and advertising.
13. Governing Law: All federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations apply. To the extent permitted by the mandatory provision of the applicable law, this Contest and these Official Rules are governed and interpreted by the laws of British Columbia, Canada, without regard to its conflict of law provisions. FOR QUEBEC RESIDENTS ONLY: Notwithstanding anything in this paragraph, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling in Quebec. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
14. Winner List / Official Rules: For a copy of the Official Rules for this Contest and a list of winners, please visit the Website.
15. Disclaimer: The trademarks that may be associated with the prizes awarded under this Contest are registered or unregistered trademarks of their owners, who are not affiliated nor have endorsed this Contest. Prizes awarded under this Contest may be subject to restrictions and licenses from their manufacturers and may require additional hardware, software, service, or maintenance to use. The prize recipient shall bear all responsibility for use of such prize in compliance with the conditions imposed by the manufacturer, and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance.